30 April 2018

Big Give Christmas Challenge funds life changing opportunities for students six months on

By Development and Alumni Relations Team

Last year, thanks to the support of hundreds of alumni, staff and students, we achieved the incredible goal of raising over £120,000 through the Big Give Christmas Challenge. Six months on, we look at how these valuable funds will offer life changing experiences for many deserving students.

The 17 scholarships created will enable talented students to join Royal Holloway in September 2018 and flourish in our unique, inspirational community.

Big Give Isobel“My scholarship is allowing me to better focus on my studies without financial concerns and to continue to make the most of my time at university, as well as to prepare for the future. I am incredibly grateful that I have been fortunate enough to receive a scholarship and I hope, if ever I am in a position to do so in my career, to offer a similar opportunity to a future student.” Isobel B, previous scholarship recipient

The students benefitting from a six week work placement in their chosen field over the summer will gain invaluable experience which we know is essential to secure a graduate level position after leaving, giving them an edge in the increasingly competitive job market.

Big Give Emma“My placement was an invaluable experience and I’m so grateful that the College was able to support me in finding this opportunity and giving me the financial support that made it possible. I was able to have hands-on experience in an office environment and have strengthened my skills set so I feel confident going into the workforce once I graduate. Most importantly it showed me another avenue of jobs that I would never have considered before. Thank you!” – Emma C, previous placement beneficiary

The funds will also enable exceptional students in the departments of English and Geography to receive a range of performance related prizes for years to come, celebrating their academic achievements.

We would like to extend our thanks again to everyone who gave so generously during the Big Give Christmas Challenge and we look forward to updating you further on the impact of the support later in the year.

If you were unable to participate in the Challenge, but would like to make a donation to the College you may do so online, or by contacting the team on +44 (0)1784 414 478 or email development@royalholloway.ac.uk.